● Must be 11-14 years of age by the first session date.
● The Junior Lifeguard Program is NOT a learn-to-swim school. Therefore, prospective participants are screened at a tryout test to see if they have the minimum skills to benefit from the Junior Lifeguard Program. The instructors approve a child's skill level based upon successful completion of the test and on the child's swimming competence and confidence.
NOTE: After you register for a session, you must also register for and attend a tryout.
The Almaden Cabana Club Junior Lifeguard program will provide your child with an understanding of the skills required to become a pool lifeguard by emphasizing fun and physical fitness through a variety of activities.
This course does not certify participants as lifeguards. It does, however, provide them with an in-depth understanding of many aspects of what it means to be a lifeguard. The program will provide a foundation of knowledge, attitude, and skills that will prepare participants for lifeguard training in the future if they choose. Participants will also participate in both dryland and in-water exercises each day.
Under the supervision of our certified and experienced Lifeguards, your child will practice the skills necessary to become a successful lifeguard, and will learn about the most common poolside injuries and other medical emergencies and how to properly treat them as well as when to know when it is proper to call for professional emergency medical response.
All sessions will consist of conditioning and lifeguard instruction. Conditioning will include swimming, running, calisthenics and team-building games, in addition to other physical activities.
THE PHYSICAL CHALLENGE
Successful course completion requires physical activity. Sessions will include some strenuous exercise. If a medical condition or disability exists that might prevent participation in the activities, or there are questions about fully participating in the Junior Lifeguard Program, please contact us to discuss concerns before the program begins.
Schedules are subject to change slightly depending on activities for the day, however, below is a general outline of a daily schedule:
9:00 – 9:15 Roll call and program meeting, warm-ups, stretching, and calisthenics
9:15 – 9:30 Daily workout (running, swimming, kickboard, etc.)
9:30 – 9:45 Review and verbal instruction on first aid training
9:45 – 10:15 First aid skills and activities
10:15 – 10:30 Restroom, water, and snack break
10:30 – 10:45 Relay/team-building activities
10:45 – 11:00 Verbal instruction on rescue skills
11:00 – 11:45 Rescue skills and activities in the water
11:45 – 11:55 Program clean-up and review
12:00 Dismissal and the end of another great day!
REFUND / CANCELLATION POLICY
A Request for Refund, Transfer and Credit Form must be received by the criteria deadlines listed below:
● Cancellations will be charged an administration fee of $25 per session. You must notify the coordinator of the cancellation at least 7 calendar days before your session begins. No credits, transfers or refunds will be issued for class materials purchased.
● No credits or refunds will be issued for days missed.
● If your child does not pass the Tryout Test you will receive a full refund.